The Shoprite Group of Companies South Africa is looking for a passionate Assistant Buyer to support our purchasing department with the selection and procurement of products.
The Assistant Buyer’s responsibilities include maintaining positive vendor relations, preparing retail and pricing strategies, placing and tracking purchase orders, managing inventory and keeping track of market trends.
To be successful as an Assistant Buyer, you should be confident, highly organized and an excellent communicator. An outstanding Assistant Buyer has an analytical mind and excellent negotiating skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
The successful applicant will be responsible for but not limited to the following job functions:
- Assisting the buyer with the selection of the right product mix.
- Writing, placing and tracking purchase orders.
- Ensuring products are purchased at the right time, to specification and at a good price.
- Negotiating with vendors and building positive, long-term relationships.
- Researching new suppliers and making recommendations to the buyer.
- Preparing competitive retail and pricing strategies.
- Planning, monitoring and maintaining suitable inventory levels.
- Preparing budgets and forecasting purchasing trends.
- Compiling reports on product performance and statistics.
- Grade 12
- Tertiary qualification in Office Management or similar – advantageous
- Office administration or data capturing
- Customer service
- Previous experience as a Buyers Assistant – advantageous
- Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Buying systems
- Google Suite and/or related systems
- Verbal and written Communication Skills
- Administrative Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Typing skills
- Attention to detail