- This role is open to all the Kumba, Anglo American and De Beers Group employees. Kumba employees will be given initial consideration for the role.
- We have an exciting opportunity for a Hygiene Technician on a 3-year FTE , that will be involved in the planning, monitoring, and measurement of Health stressors (e.g. air monitoring) and the evaluation and the interpretation of exposures to ensure that Kolomela mine remains compliant to health and hygiene legislation.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happens
- Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible – from mobile phones to medicines.
Kumba Iron Ore
- We produce high-grade iron ore, the key component in steel widely used in construction and manufacturing across the world.
- Our activities include all aspects – exploration; mining; processing and blending; shipping; marketing and selling.
- In South Africa, we have mining operations in the Northern Cape province, as well as a head office in Centurion, Gauteng, and a port operation in Saldanha Bay, Western Cape.
As a Hygiene Technician, your responsibilities will include:
- Measuring of worker exposure to dust, fumes, vapours, noise and other hazards.
- Coordinate the Calibration and maintenance of sampling equipment.
- Provide enough support and information to minimize health risks to employees.
- Conducting workplace assessments, prepare and submit good quality reports required by regulatory authorities and by management
- Assist in ensuring that the work environment complies with all relevant hygiene standards to minimize potential health risk to employees
- Offer support with the implementation on the hierarchy of controls to minimize health risks to employees.
- Offer departmental support for occupational hygiene projects and initiative
- Actively participate in incident investigations and ensure corrective actions are implemented
- Assist in the monitoring of the emergency preparedness and response status of the mine to support business continuity
- Be part of the Tests on the Emergency preparedness and response of the operation through emergency drills and report accordingly
- Ensure support to the adherence to the fire prevention and management strategies through the enforcement of compliance to the Prevention of Fires in Mines COP
- Ensure support in terms of the coordination and participate in Fire Risk Assessments and audits
- Conduct regular inspections to ensure compliance to systems, guidelines, and code of practice
- Produce ad-hoc and mandatory, monthly, or quarterly and annual occupational hygiene reports
- This role is in the SHE department (Occupational Hygiene) at a Band 7 level, reporting to the Specialist Hygienist
You will be required to have the following:
- Grade 12
- B Degree or B. Tech in Environmental Sciences or Environmental Intermediate Certificate in Mine Environmental Control
- 3 – 5 years operational experience in Occupational Hygiene in the Mining industry
- Registration with SA Institute of Occupational Hygiene (SAIOH) as an Occupational Hygiene Technologist or the Mine Ventilation Society
- Valid South African Drivers licence
- Medically fit
What we offer
- When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package.
- But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none.
- From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too.
- We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
- We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet, that means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
Inclusion and Diversity
- Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.