SARS is looking for a competent, result driven, knowledgeable and prudent lawyer with IT legal and/or public service Procurement background.
He/She should possess good legal research, contracts negotiations and drafting skills and must thrive in a busy and demanding working environment.
The applicant must also be a team player and amenable to guidance, with good listening skills and must be capable of performing his duties with diligence, devotion and an understanding of IT operations, relevant processes, policies and the law.
The role of Legal Specialist resides within Corporate Legal Services and forms part of the Enterprise Services and Support Cluster.
The main purpose of this job is to provide expert legal advice and support to Senior Management and Internal Stakeholders on a broad spectrum of IT and related matters, including the drafting, vetting and negotiation of all IT and related contracts, identification and legal management of associated risks.
This includes, amongst others, participation in relevant Procurement Committees and ensuring legal compliance relating to all IT matters so as to achieve sound corporate governance practices and compliance with policy and legal framework.
Education and experience
Relevant law degree (NQF7) AND 5-7 years’ experience in legal advisory/practising environment, of which 2-3 years ideally at functional specialist level within an IT operations environment
- Participate in tender processes, guide and review of the relevant documents, draft contract relevant to the tender and identifying legal risks.
- Provide advise and support in the drafting or vetting of IT related contracts and identify legal risks.
- Conduct research and prepare legal opinions
- Drive processes that ensures that disputes are handled timeously and fairly and in compliance with the relevant legislation.
- Provide and oversee legal support for non-tax related legal issues related to the organisation.
- Provide legal advice and support to the organisation on a broad spectrum of corporate commercial matters affecting the business of SARS both internally and externally.
- Provide legal advice relating to Information Technology Operations, , Finance and Procurement
- Conduct legal risk assessment, policy consideration and legal compliance so as to ensure sound corporate governance practices
- Draft, vet, update and develop enterprise governance instruments for legal compliance with legislation SARS is required to comply with
- Coordinate, administer and manage all SARS freedom of information requests.
- Support the implementation of relevant legislation and advice on compliance
- Execute specialist input through investigation &opportunities within the product process including risk concern
- Provide specialist input through the investigation of opportunities for operational and process product and risk optimisation.
- Apply practical and applied knowledge and act authoritatively on methods, systems and procedures to identify trends and potential risks.
- Communication of situational interpretation and judgement of work outputs and queries in area of specialisation.
- Accumulate information to review work progress that provides input to reporting, decision making and the identification of improvement opportunities.
- Draw on own knowledge and experience to diagnose symptoms, causes and possible effects in order to solve emerging problems.
- Initiate process and procedural change, implement the change and provide guidelines and support related to new requirements as a result of the change.
- Plan for value-added process improvements, initiatives and services to deliver on operational strategy and Objectives
- Correctly apply policies, practices, standards, procedures and legislation in the delivery of work outputs