Production Planner to plan and oversee the production process according to demand and quality standards; to coordinate all production activities and operations.
The Production Planner will need to own the pre-production (planning) stage as well as the production (control and supervision) stage.
The ideal candidate will be the one to ensure our goods are produced on time for distribution in a profitable manner.
A large part of the job is dealing with people and resource management.
The role will require integration with other functions, such as marketing, sales, and finance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate production workflow for one or multiple products and manufacturing sites
- Plan and prioritize operations to ensure maximum performance and minimum delay
- Determine manpower, equipment and raw materials needed to cover production demand
- Schedule shift according to production needs
- Monitor jobs to ensure they will finish on time and within budget
- Address issues when they arise aiming for minimum disruption
- Obtain output information (number of finished products, percentage of defectives etc.)
- Prepare and submit status and performance reports
- Collaborate with quality control, warehouse, and other staff
- Liaise with sales division to determine customer requirements
- Predict how long a project will take to complete
- Develop a production schedule detailing all tasks and when they should be completed by to meet predicted completion date
- Monitor project’s progress to ensure it’s following the schedule
- Troubleshoot problems that occur during production, including staff shortages and machinery malfunctions
- Organise project paperwork, including purchase orders, and maintains records
- Monitor production and raw material costs
- Collect and assesses data about the production and team’s performance
Prepare reports about production processes for upper management and suggest ways to improve efficiency:
- Ensure the profitability of the products
- Coordinate with other departments to determine the demand for the product
- Determine the raw materials and manufacturing equipment required for the production process
- Schedule shifts and labour according to production demand
- Troubleshoot the problems that occurred and take measures to resolve them
- Maintain records and documentation of the entire production process
- Manage the production process and make sure the final product meets quality standards
- Ensure the final product is according to customer’s requirements
- Collaborate with the other members of the team for feedback post-production
- Keep yourself updated about the latest market trends and consumer demand
- Relevant Tertiary Education (e.g., Bachelor’s degree in Management, National Diploma: Production and Inventory Management)
- Minimum 3-5 year’s FMCG environment experience in a related position
- 3+ years food production planning experience
- Excellent knowledge of production planning and quality control principles
- Knowledge of Supply Chain and Distribution Management, Ability to Meet Deadlines, Supervisory Experience,
- Quality Control Experience
- Working knowledge of MS Office and MRP (Manufacturing resource planning))/ERP systems
- Experience in working with Unions advantageous
- Must be computer literate in MS Office; Excel, Word, and Outlook (Pastel/Syspro will be advantageous/Pivot tables and V-Look Ups)
- Car and driver’s license
- Strong interpersonal skills, problem-solving capabilities and results orientated
- Person of high integrity
- Accuracy and attention to detail essential
- Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Deadline driven, action orientated and ability to handle pressure
- Customer focus
- Technical aptitude, good at math and statistics
- Teamwork – ability to relate to people at all levels
- Ability to work independently on own initiative, be proactive and have a self-driven work ethic
- To be a successful candidate, you should be well-versed in production procedures and ways to optimize them.
You are organized and results-driven with great problem-solving skills.
Advanced communication and computer skills are vital for the role. You would ensure the smooth and cost-efficient flow of our production operations.
The role may involve shift work and unsocial hours to make sure there’s cover throughout the production process.
Extended hours may be required to meet deadlines or to introduce new systems. You could be on call at weekends or public holidays to deal with problems.
Please note that you may on occasion be required to perform tasks that are not part of your normal daily duties but may be necessary due to the operational requirements of the Company.