This requires the identification and realisation of systemic opportunities for sustainable economic diversification in the regions that host our operations through cross-sectoral partnerships, and the establishment of a backbone organisation that facilitates the design and implementation of socio-economic and environmental programmes.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and oversee the spatial planning process which merges spatial development planning, value chain analysis and market development analysis to provide a comprehensive strategy or roadmap of how best to unlock resources for economic development, trade, and investment in the region.
- Coordinate the delivery of feasibility studies of prioritised opportunities identified through the spatial planning process. Once feasibilities have been approved, manage the implementation of pilot programmes.
- Support the establishment of the platform by engaging with potential partners, including the relevant mining and socio-economic development-relevant ministry and department(s), international development organisations, private sector organisations, financial services companies, and public sector institutions.
- Establish a robust partnership around a common vision and agenda. Ensure the integration and alignment with other relevant initiatives and programmes around the Anglo American Group.
- Together with the selected platform partners, co-design an appropriate business and operating model for the backbone management of the platform, including appropriate governance structures, roles and responsibilities and key business and decision-making processes.
- Develop a detailed budget (including in-kind resources from partner organisations) and formalise the partnerships through relevant legal agreements.
- Identify co-funding opportunities for the implementation of initiatives.
- Represent Anglo American in discussions on development planning with regional government, municipalities, and other relevant forums.
- Bachelor’s degree; with preference for master’s degree, in a relevant discipline
Role-specific knowledge and experience:
- Experience in Renewable Energy and/ or Agricultural development and/ or SMME development
- Commercial and international development experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage successfully projects and/or organisations in complex working environments.
- Evidence of working in, and navigating, complex stakeholder environments. Clear evidence of ability to build trust, establish relationships and develop partnerships.
- Knowledge and experience of working in the relevant host country across private and public sectors.
- Experience of developing and delivering business strategies.
- Strong foundational knowledge in one or more of these areas: economic analysis, socio-economic development, value chain development, enterprise development, entrepreneurship.
Who we are
- We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet.
- That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
- As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What we offer
- When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none.
- From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
How we are committed to your safety
- Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry.
- Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
- We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are.
- We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
COVID-19 vaccination intent
Since safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines have become widely available this year, we have strongly encouraged employees to get vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity. However, as vaccines have been proven to be a very effective and safe way of protecting people and reducing Covid-19 transmission, we have now announced our intent to introduce a policy that requires Covid-19 vaccination for access to all sites and offices. This policy would apply to all new joiners to the company as well as existing employees and contractors.
We are in the process of undertaking a comprehensive engagement process with all our stakeholders about our intent. This is so we can tailor our approach in each country, including ensuring what we do is lawful. Once this is complete, we will look to implement the policy. There may be differences in how and when it is implemented due to local context and legal requirements.